Portabello Mushroom & Pineapple Tacos
There's no coincidence why portobello mushroom burgers exist...this type of mushroom has such a great texture and flavor that jumps out when combined with the right ingredients. Portobellos are known as the "vegetarian steak", providing a "meaty" texture, just without the saturated fat and cholesterol. So grill up some portobellos and try out this recipe for tacos today!
Servings: Makes about 6 tacos
- Corn tortillas
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 1/2 c ripe pineapple, diced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 tbsp diced raw jalapeno pepper
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning suggestions: Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, All Purpose Seasoning Blend, Black Pepper, Cayenne if you like spicy
- For Portobello Mix: Rinse portobello thoroughly in warm water and pat dry. Cut into small chunks, about 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a hot skillet, and add sliced onion. Sauté until onion becomes translucent and flavor begins to release. Add about 1/4 c of water and cover for about 30 sec.
- Add portobello and garlic into skillet, season with about 1 tsp each an all purpose seasoning blend, pepper, sea salt. Sauté for 2 min. Mix in pineapple, cover, and let simmer for about 3 min.
- For Salsa: Combine diced tomato, jalapeno, 2 tbsp diced red onion, juice of 1 lime, chopped cilantro 1/2 tsp sea salt in a bowl. Mix together an use as topping for tacos.
- Heat tortillas in skillet or oven. Top with portobello and pineapple mix and garnish with salsa, avocado, cilantro and lime wedges.